Getting from the Liberia Airport (officially known as Daniel Oduber Quirós International Airport) to the J.W. Marriot Guanacaste is a pretty simple process.
There are 5 main options for the trip depending on your budget and how much time you have.
A shared or private shuttle is the best deal you’re going to find and rather quick. You can book them directly through the links below with Viator (Booking through these links helps the Weekly Crawler, thank you!).
A private taxi will run you around $120-$150. If you have 3 or 4 people in your group it could be a good idea to split a taxi. You won’t have to wait for the shuttle to drop off people in other locations. Settle on the taxi price before getting in.
3. Rental Car/Driving on your own
The J.W. Marriot Guanacaste is a huge property, and several great beaches are located just north and south of the property. If you plan on renting a car for your time in Costa Rica, here are the driving directions from Liberia Airport. Be sure to also read our article about renting cars in Costa Rica to avoid any surprises once you get here!
- Exit the airport to the right on Route #21
- Follow Route #21, you’ll pass the towns of Guardia, Communidad, Filadelfia.
- Once you reach the town of Belen, after the bridge, turn right at the gas station to Tamarindo on route #155.
- Once you reach the town of Huacas, turn left towards Tamarindo
- Continue on this road until you reach Villareal. Continue straight on this road towards the signs that say “Hacienda Pinilla”. If you were to turn right at the intersection in Villa Real you would reach Tamarindo.
- Keep following the signs to Hacienda Pinilla, and once you reach the security gate let them know you are a guest of the J.W. Marriot and give them your name. They will provide you a map of the property.
- The hotel is located approximately 2 miles from the entrance of Hacienda Pinilla.
4. Public Bus
While getting from Liberia Airport to Tamarindo is convenient by public bus, getting to the J.W. Marriot is a different story.
The Marriot sits on a large piece of property called Hacienda Pinilla, and the entrance gate is about a 10-15 minute drive to the hotel property.
If you are looking to save time and money and want to take a public bus to the Marriot, your best bet is to take the public bus to Tamarindo, then catch the hotel shuttle to the Marriot that picks up at La Palapa Restaurant and Hotel.
La Palapa is located just down the street from the Diria hotel, and across the street from several souvenir and clothing stores:
The schedule from Tamarindo to the J.W. Marriot does not run all day. The shuttle leaves from Tamarindo to the J.W. Marriot at 1pm, 3pm, 5pm, 7:30pm, and 9:30pm and costs $14/person (round trip). You can see the schedule below:
If you’re coming in to Tamarindo at a time not convenient for the shuttle, you can hire a private taxi to take you to the resort for anywhere from $15-$25.