While Tamarindo is one of the best places to learn to surf with several consistent breaks, there are the rare few, myself included, who prefer to skip the surfing. With the whole town consumed with surfing, how could you possibly figure out something else to do, right? Wrong! Here are some of my favorite activities to do in a surfer’s paradise without surfing.
– Kayaking & Paddle Boarding: If you still want to be out in the water but don’t love the surf experience, try kayaking or paddle boarding. It is a fun activity and a very different experience from surfing. The island just off shore is a great place to venture to and offers good snorkeling around the rocks. The Kayak Club located on the beach next to Walter’s is a great place to rent from and they always focus on safety first.
– Tennis: Tamarindo has some great tennis courts at 15 Love Bed & Breakfast. It’s a great activity for the competitive or casual player, and don’t worry if you don’t have a racket – they have rackets and balls you can use at no extra cost.
– Sunday Funday: Yes, that’s right, Tamarindo has a Sunday Funday – the Beach & Pool Crawl. It is a great tour for people who want to see other beaches outside of Tamarindo and have a fun, social experience in a bar crawl type of format. This is less of a “tour” or “excursion” (because those words sound too boring and cookie cutter) and more of an event.
– Sunsets: Watching the sunset is something people take very seriously here. It’s just that amazing! Go for a beach stroll and get a pipa (coconut) from one of the beach vendors or grab some drinks at one of the beach bars and enjoy the view!
– Biking: There are several biking options depending on what you’re looking for. Rent a cruiser and head down to the beach for a leisurely afternoon. You can also bike down the road to Langosta to discover the different beach scene. If you’re looking for a challenge, the old road to Villa Real is just that. If you’re a more serious mountain biker, checkout this article for details on some of the best in Costa Rica.