Costa Rica is such an amazing country that many people buy a one-way ticket in with no plans to leave. We don’t blame you! But, the officers and customs and immigration have a different idea about your one way trip to paradise.
Costa Rica requires that you have proof of onward travel leaving Costa Rica to another country.
Here are 5 simple tips for making sure you reach paradise a.k.a. Costa Rica
- The proof of onward travel is required when you check in for your flight from your home country, so make sure you have a ticket either on your phone or printed.
- Most U.S. based airlines will refund an airline ticket within 24 hours (So if you’re at the airport departing to Costa Rica and don’t have proof of onward travel, buy a flight leaving Costa Rica, then cancel it within 24 hours and you’ll get all your money back.)
- Make sure the onward travel ticket leaves Costa Rica somewhere between 80-89 days from when you land in Costa Rica so you get the full 90 day travel visa upon arrival.
- Don’t waste your time buying Costa Rica bus tickets online for proof of onward travel. Tip #2 is a cheaper and easier alternative.
- The maximum visa for tourists is 90 days, so keep this in mind when planning your proof of onward travel tickets for Costa Rica.
Follow these steps and you’ll have a headache free time at the airport and customs.