There are a couple of different ways to get from the Liberia Airport (officially known as Daniel Oduber Quirós International Airport) to Playa Grande.
There are 4 main options for the trip depending on your budget and how much time you have.
A shared or private shuttle is the best deal you’re going to find and rather quick. You can book them directly through the links below with Viator (Booking through these links helps the Weekly Crawler, thank you!).
A private taxi will run you around $100-$120. If you have 3 or 4 people in your group it could be a good idea to split a taxi. You won’t have to wait for the shuttle to drop off people in other locations. Settle on the taxi price before getting in.
3. Rental Car/Driving on your own
Playa Grande is more isolated than some other popular beach destinations like Tamarindo and Coco. If you plan on renting a car for your time in Costa Rica, here are the driving directions from Liberia Airport. Be sure to also read our article about renting cars in Costa Rica to avoid any surprises once you get here!
- Exit the airport to the right on Route #21
- Follow Route #21, you’ll pass the towns of Guardia, Communidad, Filadelfia.
- Once you reach the town of Belen, after the bridge, turn right at the gas station to Tamarindo on route #155.
- Once you reach the town of Huacas, continue straight.
- Shortly after Huacas you’ll see a road going to the right towards Flamingo, Conchal, and Potrero. Don’t take this road, but continue straight.
- The next intersection will be the small town of Matapalo, you’ll see a soccer field on the right. At this point turn left, go over the bridge and keep going on the paved road for another 10 minutes.
- This road will lead you to Playa Grande.
4. Public Bus
While getting from Liberia Airport to Tamarindo is convenient by public bus, getting to Playa Grande is a different story.
If you are looking to save time and money and want to take a public bus to Playa Grande, your best bet is to take the public bus to Huacas, then catch a taxi to Playa Grande.
There are some direct buses to Playa Grande from Liberia, but they don’t depart from the airport, but instead depart from the Liberia bus terminal.