It’s not easy being a surf bum. Ditching the cubicle life for endless barrels and sun burns, as well as ditching things like personal hygiene for the pursuit of the perfect ride are well worth it. Here are 5 signs you’re officially a surf bum.
1. You’re surfboards are worth more than your car.
Yeah, you might not drive the latest BMW, but your custom made fish never needs an oil change or expensive maintenance!
2. You live in a beach town but vacation to other surf spots
If the surfing sucks in your home spot, most likely somewhere in the world will be firing. Forget about paying this month’s rent, book the flight!
3. You spend more on wax for your boards than shampoo for your hair.
Who needs shampoo anyway? That stuff will end up in the ocean, so consider yourself extra eco friendly when you’d rather buy wax than chemically tainted beauty products.
4. You talk about your boards as if they’re your girlfriends.
You’ve reached another level of surf bum when you name your boards. Just don’t be the guy who cries when his ride gets a ding.
5. You own more board shorts than pants.
Surf bum life chose you. Plus, whatever clothing item is acceptable to wear both on land and in water?!
If you have other signs you might be a surf bum add them to the comments below.